Monday, May 2, 2011

Island Baby Quilt

I finished a baby quilt for my very good friend, Nia.  She is having a baby boy and they are going to name him Toa.  She is Samoan and I just love the meaning behind the name they have chosen for their son.  Toa means strong/warrior. 

IMG_1742

I finished this quilt up at a quilting retreat I was lucky enough to attend.  I wasn’t signed up for this one but a friend, Irene, offered me her spot when she realized that she wouldn’t be able to go.  I was so excited.  I love retreats for not only the hours and hours of uninterrupted sewing time I get but also that I get to know the other women in my guild so much better.  I just couldn’t resist the gorgeous grounds to take pictures of the finished quilt.

IMG_1740

Years ago I won these island prints from a giveaway that Jodi over at Pleasant Home was hosting.  I have saved them and when I found out Nia was pregnant I knew I wanted to use these fabrics for a quilt for her baby.  The blue is Kona Candy Blue and I used a wonderfully soft flannel for the back.

IMG_1744

I wasn’t sure how the quilting would go with flannel since I haven’t every quilted with a flannel backing before.  It went well, although I was going to just keep it really simple with some straight line sewing.  But my friend, Barb, suggested free motion quilting a motif along the columns of island fabrics.  She drew a few ideas for me and I settled on these half hearts.  I love how it turned out.

IMG_1745

I’ll post more retreat pictures soon!

8 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

Very cute quilt, and I love the half-hearts quilting! Don't think I've seen that before.

Linda said...

What a lucky little boy - both to have that quilt and to have parents who so thoughtfully chose his name.

delia hornbook said...

Its beautiful and such lovely fabrics. A retreat to sew sounds wonderful looks like its a lovely location, dee x

Jackie said...

Cute quilt and your quilting came out wonderfully!

Tina said...

that quilt seems like it all came together perfectly! what a great gift.

Alexis said...

So sweet! Congrats on getting to go to the retreat and finish this quilt- it is sure to be treasured!

Suzanne said...

I really like the quilting!

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

Super cute. I made an island baby quilt for a friend years ago. Her husband is from Hawaii. Cute theme.

Related Posts with Thumbnails