Saturday, July 23, 2011

Summer Stitching

Well that ended up being an very long unintended blog break.  I have had lots of excuses reasons but we don’t need to go into all of them.  I have been busy with lots of things and sewing and knitting too!  I am glad I have things to share. 

 

My kids are home, and it is summer (kind of) here in the Pacific Northwest, and both of those make me so happy.  Someone asked me if we were going to go get the kids’ school supplies soon and I thought no way, we have loads of time.  But we don’t and that makes me sad.  This is my daughter’s last year at middle school and my son’s first.  I am glad they will have one year there together.

 

My dad retired earlier this year and my mom and dad moved to the Seattle area from California (where I grew up) to live near my sisters and I.  It is so fun to have them here and to get to see them so often.  Fun for my kids to have a grandma and grandpa nearby.  They are having a new house built and it will be done in the next week or so and they can move in!  Very exciting!

 

Like I said, I have been busy sewing for Gail from The Quilted Gypsy.  She has a knack for putting fabric together and I have a lot of fun working on her samples. 

 

Tori Q

IMG_2083

(what a cute little hand that wanted to get in the picture)

 

Garden View

IMG_2109

 

Lotus Purse

IMG_2115

 

IMG_2116

I got to make two versions of this fun pattern.  When my daughter saw these she fell in love and asked me to make her one.  So I am hoping to do just that in time for her upcoming birthday.

 

I meet my knitting friends at the library every week and we have all been knitting the same shawl.  It has been so fun to see how everyone’s shawl turns out.  I just have the border left on mine and I have decided to add beads to it.  I have always wanted to try adding beads to my knitting and I am excited to have found a good project to try it out on.  My daughter, the jewelry making expert, helped me pick out the beads and my friend, Betsy, showed me how to put them on as I knit.  It is easy and fun and hopefully I will have a finished shawl to show you soon!

11 comments:

GerryART said...

I've not been a Follower for very long so aren't acquainted with your talents.
However, knitting is my main passion and I just knit my first shawl [wlel I thought it was a shawl but turned out to be a shawlette] and have never beaded but seems everyone is doing it. Sooo.
Our knitting group meets monthly and I'm envious of your's meeting weekly.
Hope to get to know more about you in your next posts.

LynCC said...

oooo I love Tori Q - and such a cute little hand, it is!

Rachel said...

Beautiful quilts...and I have to ask...Does she have the pattern available for the Lotus Purse? (It looks like her web site is not fully functional yet?) Thanks!!

Wilma NC said...

Loved the Lotus Purse, I immediately had to leave your blog to find it and order the pattern. Thanks for sharing.

*karendianne. said...

What a great post! Lots of things are happening. Good things. Good life is growing and moving along.

I love the quilts and you know that hand shining thru at the bottom of the first quilt REALLY sets it off. ;) Happiness. They're all beautiful and I'm totally in love with that Lotus Purse. Wow. The Red and Black one is my personal favorite just because it would attract long haired cat hair and I can't have anything like that. Figures.

Knitting with Beads! Wow. Now you stole my heart. I'm really looking forward to seeing that. Gosh, this has been such a lovely visit. Thank you for such a great post.

Stanton Blog said...

I have missed your posts, so glad to see what you have been doing. See you Labor Day? I am sure you will really enjoy your parents being even closer soon!

Ann said...

That lotus purse is awesome!

iSew said...

My goodness, you've been busy!

sewsilly said...

Do you happen to have the name of the pattern for the purple/various colors quilt? http://lh4.ggpht.com/-dlW7ySE-aIU/TitkgpPS8FI/AAAAAAAADA0/6mSGXo5eQuE/s1600-h/IMG_2083%25255B4%25255D.jpg

Thanks

lori said...

I have just come upon this site and love the quilts. I am particularly taken with the small quilt displayed on the main web site , the quilt thT looks like small windmills. Just wondering if anyone could help me with a name for the quilt, and where I could locate a pattern for it. Thanks. Lori

sewsilly said...

I think the blocks on Summer Stitching are a type of oragami (sp?). I remember seeing a book on it but cannot remember the name. Try http://www.annagriffin.com/project/decorativefabrics/pdfs/Honoka_quilt_instructions.pdf and also do a google search for free origami windmill quilt block instructions and several things come up. If you type in origami quilt blocks on google Images a lot of cute ideas and sites come up. Good luck!

Related Posts with Thumbnails